Hello To All Community Builders Out There!

My name is Vanessa Van der Werff and I am a Masters in Social Work Student here at UQ in Brisbane. As part of my course from "Community Engagement, Participation and Governance" I am required as my piece of assessment to: propose, plan and implement a Community Project of my choosing. I have chosen to travel back to my home town of Cairns to Implement this project. Following are my thoughts, proposals and plans of my project.

My project will be implemented in Mooroobool, a suburb in Cairns. The community structure and bonds are not as strong as they could be. There is strong potential to create stronger bonds and build on the strengths of cultural diversity. By using the different experiences, skills and resources of the community and its members, together they can transform the community to a more supportive, constructive, sustainable environment.

Change Agenda
My agenda is to aid, support and facilitate certain community members to use dance, expression and festival activities to build connections throughout their communities. It is starting with 3 weeks preparation from now till the 9th of June, then ending with a Multicultural Gathering oganised by the group members. This Multicultural Gathering/Festival will be on Saturday 10th April. Each cultural dance team can teach different members of other dance teams and community members and spectators their style of dance. The team has expressed their interest in also facilitating a collaborative creative workshop which includes contemporary body movements and participants own choreography. A celebrity guest (Last season's finalist of TV show "So You Think You Can Dance" - Gianne Abbott, will come on board for the day to facilitate with these creative workshops, learn different cultural dance styles from members of the community, and hang out with the kids. All of these activities will be show cased at the end of the day, with performances and handing out of certificates of participation (optional - perhaps just for the young participants).

Here is the Flyer I made for the project. With the help of Simon (Thanks Simon)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

We used the play ground instead because the children felt more safe and less exposed than on the basketball courts



7 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Vanessa!!! I am so happy to see the photos and the videos. It brings your who project to life. And all those happy little children, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa,
    I have been reading an article about the changes that have occured in international law- the focus being placed upon Indigenous communities.
    The article talks about the recognition of Indigenous cultures holding their countries accountable for social justice issues. 'More generally, indigenous peoples have arguably come to represent one of the
    most influential, and well recognized, parties of a global civil movement committed to the pursuit of justice (International and Comparative Law Quarterly (2009), 58: 957-983 Cambridge University Press).

    One of the things it talks about is the recognition of 'cultural' persepctives. It discusses the importance of looking at 'customary' justices to be inclusive of countries systems.

    I am aware that there is an Indigenous court up in FNQ, it is my understanding that this is an effective way of engaging the two systems and societies in addressing legal issues in the Indigeous community. The connection for the elders and those in legal trouble in this instance is often the difference. The cutural connection to justice systems is just one componet of what you are talking about with cultural connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa

    This project looks great. I only wish my daughter could have been invloved, she loves dancing, especially with Murri's. Maybe you could run something on the Northside of Brisbane sometime?

    Nothing fills my heart with joy more than seeing smiles on our children's faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vanessa.
    Got your email re the presentation that you are doing. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it, have so many things I need to get done in the these last few weeks.
    I have to say that it was very tempting and I hope that it all goes well for you.
    Look forward to your posting to see how it went.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vanessa,
    Just checking in with how you are going. Hope the video evening went well. Came across this podcast informaton on Indigenous health care. Thought you might like to have a look at it. Your project of combining your talents and skills to develop activities for Indigenous in rural and remote communities is exceptionally important given the appalying statistics for health in the Indigenious community. I have been following this issue also through Meg's blog http://megumi-cdproject.blogspot.com/and her project about closing the gap in health care.
    I have attached the link below for the podcasting.
    Karen
    http://search.abc.net.au/search/click.cgi?url=http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2661448.htm&rank=23&collection=abcall

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,
    Looks like I will be doing it up North Side and your daughter can be involved. I am starting my placement at Jabiru next semester and they want me to repeat what I've done. I'll keep you posted. Probably use this blog to do it. Might as well as I've already made this up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen,
    Thank you for being so helpful and sending me copious amounts of information

    ReplyDelete