Hello To All Community Builders Out There!

My name is Vanessa Van der Werff and I am a Masters in Social Work Student here at UQ in Brisbane. As part of my course from "Community Engagement, Participation and Governance" I am required as my piece of assessment to: propose, plan and implement a Community Project of my choosing. I have chosen to travel back to my home town of Cairns to Implement this project. Following are my thoughts, proposals and plans of my project.

My project will be implemented in Mooroobool, a suburb in Cairns. The community structure and bonds are not as strong as they could be. There is strong potential to create stronger bonds and build on the strengths of cultural diversity. By using the different experiences, skills and resources of the community and its members, together they can transform the community to a more supportive, constructive, sustainable environment.

Change Agenda
My agenda is to aid, support and facilitate certain community members to use dance, expression and festival activities to build connections throughout their communities. It is starting with 3 weeks preparation from now till the 9th of June, then ending with a Multicultural Gathering oganised by the group members. This Multicultural Gathering/Festival will be on Saturday 10th April. Each cultural dance team can teach different members of other dance teams and community members and spectators their style of dance. The team has expressed their interest in also facilitating a collaborative creative workshop which includes contemporary body movements and participants own choreography. A celebrity guest (Last season's finalist of TV show "So You Think You Can Dance" - Gianne Abbott, will come on board for the day to facilitate with these creative workshops, learn different cultural dance styles from members of the community, and hang out with the kids. All of these activities will be show cased at the end of the day, with performances and handing out of certificates of participation (optional - perhaps just for the young participants).

Here is the Flyer I made for the project. With the help of Simon (Thanks Simon)

Monday, April 26, 2010

Week 4

My friend Linda who is coming on board with me has convinced/excited her brother and his girlfriend to be a part of the project as well. I will use them as delagatories on the day. They booked a flight to Cairns form Brisbane. They live in New Zealand and will be visiting family in Brisbane at the time.

A childhood friend/journalist/previous local news reader has given me advice on how to write the press release and how to get the best possible outcome.

I have contacted last years school captain of the neighbouring school to see how most of the children from that community were behaving/acting, and what issues there may have been. She is Murri and a family member.

I am just back from talking to Neil Barringham of A Place to Belong and am now up on my high point of my rollercoaster. I was completely touched as Neil had organised for me to sit in a safe space with Sue-Ellen, Inclusion worker for the Community Arts Programs, and another student and a whiteboard to bounce ideas off my whole project. I felt so honoured as we felt like a team. Three people I hadn't met before working together with me on My project.
Some of the main important points they came up with were as follows:

Martin Buber theory and book of "I and thou" where Martin was building a relationship up with his horse. He came to the conclusion that a relationship is not just making contact with someone (or a horse), it's when you get a response and then you respond back to them. Now understanding why Lynda has made the discussion board a part of our curriculum. So in relation to my project and possibly yours, when I told Neil about how I first approached the Community Centre about my idea of a Dance Show case/ Multi-Cultural Festival, the first and immediate thing Neil wanted to know was…How did they respond? When I told them that they were excited and wanted to make and hand out flyers, find the space music and dancers for this event, Neil became very happy. I then told him that the Community Centre worker is meeting with the tribal elders and leaders to discuss what they would like because I offered many different suggestions that they may like to run with, Neil said…And now we have a community Development project. You offered they responded, you responded, relationships build. This right at the beginning this mandate is crucial to building hope and empowering.

Neil mentioned to put in my risk that this has potential as two professional dancers coming outside of the area into the area to be a production, not a CD project. But because of the regular contact with family leaders and myself having different options available to what they need and want I may be able to alleviate that risk. So negotiation needs to be constant. He also told me to keep my expectations low, move in small steps and be happy with this, Have movement opportunities as in when people are feeling uncomfortable have time outs or coffee or encourage walks to toilet. Having time out also with decision makers in planning stage, having support people available for people when they are feeling vulnerable. They also told me to delegate, and in between our workshops and the show case, to have food and story telling time. Use people's stories and ask them to tell it if they will to other groups. It's in this time that the real "richness develops" where trust and relationships and connections build. Sue-Ellen, Inclusion worker for the Community Arts Programs.

I've just spoken to Saga. As Community Development has it, after all the talking with Neil and Sue-Ellen about negotiation and careful planning around the agenda community members want, Saga has told me The Christmas party had turned into the Easter Party and they were flat out. I asked her how I could help her. She told me to make up a flyer, the community is happy with anything to do with dance and email it to her ASAP. She will hand them out in next meeting. She asked me to run workshops for the kids in the day time Thursday 8 th April as well as the Saturday because that would really help them out to keep the kids and youth busy and to keep momentum and promote the Saturday event. Saga asked me if after the workshops on the Thursday, I then help set up and prepare for the Multicultural Music and Dance Easter party for that night. There I can connect with the children and make banners, photos, stories and promote the KulchaKonnect event. That way just by spending time with the kids and community members I am starting to build rapport and trust. I am bringing with me the team to connect with community members (some of my team are residences anyway). I will be bringing Gaby as she is the organiser of an upcoming Multicultural Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment